Electronic Penderecki: The Shared Universe of David Lynch and Stanley Kubrick
‘Electronic Penderecki’ will take us into a shared universe of cult filmmakers David Lynch and Stanley Kubrick, and will serve as a tribute to Polish composer and conductor Krzysztof Penderecki, who passed away in 2020 and was renowned for his composition style, based around atonal works, some of which have featured in classic horror movies such as ‘The Shining’ or ‘The Exorcist’. There will be a performance of pieces specifically arranged for this concert, which will see a fusion chamber formation, comprised of a string, piano and harp quintet, with electronic elements created by UK band Juno Reactor, pioneers of psychedelic trance, trip hop and electronic music, who made a spectacular Fimucité debut last year in our symphonic concert 'Cyberpunk Remastered Vol 1'.
This first half of the concert will be a dark, fascinating journey where we will explore new sounds, an experimental exercise the likes of which has never been seen before at the Festival, which will be a feast for the senses. The chamber formation will be comprised of the soloists of prestigious orchestra Sinfonietta Cracovia, who made their successful Fimucité debut last year, as well as two renowned Polish soloists on clarinet and accordion. Brilliant Polish composer and arranger Jan Sanejko is taking on the monumental task of recreating Penderecki's musical universe in this first section of the concert.
The second half of the concert will be eminently dedicated to Angelo Badalamenti, author of the iconic music for the TV series ‘Twin Peaks’, for which he was awarded a Grammy and nominated for three Emmys. His collaboration with screenwriter and director David Lynch also reached other titles such as ‘Blue Velvet’ or ‘Mulholland Drive’, among others, and his passing last December at the age of 85 leaves behind a laudable legacy of scores. We will also enjoy other legendary scores from the cinema of Kubrick. Composer Leigh Phillips, one of FIMUCITÉ's main prestigious arrangers, is in charge of adapting these scores for a chamber formation.
Concert co-financed with funds from the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage of the Cultural Promotion Fund of the Republic of Poland.
- De Natura Sonoris 1 (Krzysztof Penderecki - Arr. Jan Sanejko & Juno Reactor)
- Awakening of Jakob (Krzysztof Penderecki - Arr. Jan Sanejko & Juno Reactor)
- Polimorphy (Krzysztof Penderecki - Arr. Jan Sanejko & Juno Reactor)
- Passachaglia - Allegro Moderato (Krzysztof Penderecki - Arr. Jan Sanejko & Juno Reactor)
- Threnody for the victims of Hiroshima (Krzysztof Penderecki - Arr. Jan Sanejko & Juno Reactor)
- Lolita - Tema de amor (Nelson Riddle - Arr. Leigh Phillips)
- Barry Lyndon - Sarabande (George Frideric Handel - Arr. Leigh Phillips)
- Blue Velvet - Main Theme (Angelo Badalamenti - Arr. Leigh Phillips)
- The Straight Story - Rose Theme (Angelo Badalamenti - Arr. Leigh Phillips)
- Mulholland Drive - Main Theme (Angelo Badalamenti - Arr. Leigh Phillips)
- Wild at Heart - Dark Spanish Symphony (Angelo Badalamenti - Arr. Leigh Phillips)
- Eyes wide shut - Vals 2 (Dmitri Shostakovich - Arr. Leigh Phillips)
- Spartacus - Love Theme (Alex North - Arr. Leigh Phillips)
- Twin Peaks - Laura Palmer's Theme / Main Theme / Falling (Angelo Badalamenti - Arr. Leigh Phillips)
Juno Reactor: Keyboards and Programming
Liliana Izyk - Soloist
Katarzyna Tomala-Jedynak - Conductor
Maciej Lulek - Violin
Piotr Marciak - Violin
Ewa Szczepanska Chwast - Viola
Marcin Maczynski - Cello
Lukas Mazanek - Double Bass
Wojciech Kogut - Piano
Maciej Zimka - Accordion
Piotr Lato - Clarinet
Juan Miguel Castellano - Guitarra española