Born in Lancaster, Pennsylvania on November 10th 1957, Vince DiCola relocated to southern California in 1981.
- In 1983 Vince exploded into the film arena as a co-writer on eight songs for the movie STAYING ALIVE, starring John Travolta and directed by Sylvester Stallone. “Far From Over” (performed by Stallone’s brother Frank), ended up as the theme song of the movie and made it into the top 10 on the Billboard charts.
- Vince co-wrote the song “By Design” - a duet produced by Dave Grusin featuring Jose Feliciano and popular jazz vocalist Diane Schuur - for the 1985 movie PERFECT (another John Travolta feature).
- In 1986 Vince composed, performed and produced the score for ROCKY IV. Also included in the movie and on the soundtrack was the song “Heart’s On Fire” performed by John Cafferty. Select pieces from Vince’s Rocky IV score continue to be featured at major sporting events throughout the world. In 2010 Intrada Records treated ROCKY IV fans to the release of Vince’s score on CD to much critical acclaim. They released the score on vinyl in 2016.
- Later in 1986 Vince scored the animated film TRANSFORMERS:THE MOVIE. Vince also co-wrote one song for the movie that was also included on the soundtrack album... “Dare” performed by Stan Bush. In 2007, SONY/BMG reissued the original soundtrack to coincide with the release of the first live action TRANSFORMERS film. Vince was commissioned to compose the liner notes and 4 bonus tracks from Vince’s original movie score were included in this collection. In 2014 Intrada Records released Vince’s instrumental score in its entirety on CD. A 2-record vinyl set was released in 2016.
- Starting in 2003, DiCola teamed up with fellow composer Kenny Meriedeth for some movie score opportunities. SCI-FIGHTER, an action film featuring Lorenzo Lamas and kickboxing world champion Don "the Dragon" Wilson, was released in 2004.
- SOFT TARGET, an action film featuring Gary Busey, was scored by DiCola/Meriedeth and released in 2005. (See below for more DiCola/Meriedeth offerings.)
- Vince’s first foray into the world of video game music was arranging music by wellknown Japanese band T-Square for GRAN TURISMO 4 (Vince also composed a oneminute orchestral piece for this game).
- DiCola/Meriedeth composed the score to SATURDAY MORNING R.P.G. (Mighty Rabbit Studios) in 2011. They contributed two additional pieces for a sequel in 2018.
- In 2014 DiCola/Meriedeth were hired to compose and perform the score for ANGRY BIRDS TRANSFORMERS (Rovio). A soundtrack of the score was released simultaneously
- DiCola/Meriedeth contributed additional score material to TRANSFORMERS DEVASTATION in 2015 (Activision).
- Also in 2015, DiCola/Meriedeth contributed additional score material to TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES (Activision).
DiCola/Meriedeth remain active in the video game scoring arena.
- In 1986 Vince released his first solo album entitled "Vince DiCola / Piano Solos" (Artful Balance Records) to worldwide critical acclaim.
- Also on 1986 Vince contributed 4 tracks as artist/arranger with Casey Young for a Beatles 20th anniversary collection called "Artfully Beatles" (also on Artful Balance Records). Vince’s performance of the song “Yesterday” from that album was used in the 1998 Winter Olympics.
- In 1993 Vince released his own Beatles tribute CD entitled “Artistically Beatles”.
- In 2000 a Vince DiCola solo compilation entitled "In-VINCE-ible!" was released. This collection features vocal and instrumental highlights from DiCola's career as well as some previously unreleased material. This CD was debuted at the 2000 BotCon convention in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
- 2004 saw the release of yet another solo collection entitled "Falling Off a Clef", an all-instrumental offering featuring highlights from the DiCola/Meriedeth score to "SciFighter" in addition to some other previously unreleased film-related original material from Vince.
- Vince and composing partner Kenny Meriedeth released a CD compilation called “Ofn Two Minds” In 2016 to coincide with their performance at BotCon 2016 in Louisville, KY.
ORIGINAL BAND PROJECTS:
Vince has been and continues to be involved in several original band projects:
- STORMING HEAVEN, a five-piece melodic rock band, released their first CD - "Life in Paradise" - in Europe and Japan in 1996 (distributed by MTM Music/Germany). The band featured Vince on keys, Rick Livingstone (Agent, The Best) on vocals, Doane Perry (Jethro Tull) on drums, Casey Young (Michael Jackson, Yes) on programming and sound design, and Curtis Taylor on guitars.
- THREAD is a powerful progressive rock trio featuring Vince on keyboards, Doane Perry on drums and percussion, and Ellis Hall (former lead singer for Tower of Power) on vocals. THREAD's self-titled debut CD (released in 1996) continues to attract new fans and critical acclaim throughout the world.
- PITY THE RICH, released in 2006, is a psychedelic rock project featuring Vince on keys, Doane Perry on drums, Vincent Kendall (KALAMAR) on lead vocals, Paul ill (Linda Perry, Juliette Lewis, Courtney Love) on bass and Reeves Gabrels (David Bowie) on guitar. DPI is an instrumental power trio ‘jam band’ featuring Vince on keys, Paul ill on bass and Doane Perry on drums. DPI’s debut release in 2006 is entitled “Found Objects”.
- ASYLUM 9 is a unique ambient/electronica/progressive rock duo featuring Vince and co-artist Michael Fleischman on keyboards. Their CD “Just Visiting” was released in 2012.
- SAGA STAR is a four-piece progressive rock band consisting of Vince on keys and background vocals, lead singer/guitarist/keyboard player Rick Livingstone (The Best, Storming Heaven), bassist Bobby Gianetti (Dwight Twillie, Edgar Winters) and drummer Vic St. John. SAGA STAR made their debut on September 20th, 2018 at the world-famous Whisky-a-Go-Go in L.A. Their debut album is set for release in 2019.
- CANNONBALLZ is a five-piece rock band featuring Vince on keys and backing vocals, lead singer Robbie LaBlanc, guitarist Alan Friedman, bassist Doug Wimblsh (In Living Color) and drummer Jonathan Mover (Alice Cooper, The Tubes, GTR). As of this writing, their debut CD entitled “Ballz To The Wallz” is planned for release in 2019.
- FIGUREHEAD is a special project Vince has been working on for well over a decade with partner Doane Perry (Jethro Tull). Vince and Doane tout this 55-minute progressive rock opus of the same name as their greatest and most challenging collaborative accomplishment to date (Vince composed the music and Perry wrote the lyrics). Recording is currently in progress and a release is planned for 2019.
Live performances have been an enjoyable and important part of Vince’s career as well...
- He has performed with artists such as Alex Ligertwood (former lead singer for SANTANA), Jason Scheff (CHICAGO), Bobby Kimball (TOTO), Steve Ferrone (drummer for TOM PETTY), Spencer Davis (TRAFFIC) and Kenny Rogers.
- The Transformers franchise has also afforded Vince the opportunity to perform live at Transformers conventions throughout the years, starting with the first BotCon convention in Rochester, NY in 1997. One of Vince’s most memorable BotCon performances was a show on the Paramount Studios lot in 2009 with guitarist and composing partner Kenny Meriedeth and vocalist Rick Livingstone.
- In January 2018 Vince appeared as a special guest performer at MAGFest, an event dedicated to music in video games. This show marked the first time Vince performed some of his best-known work with a live band. The concert was so well received that Vince already has a standing invitation to perform at future MAGFest events on both coasts of the US.
- Vince and Friends performed a special one-night show at the world-famous Whisky-aGo-Go on September 20th, 2018. The first set was the debut of a 4-piece prog rock band Saga Star (see above under “original band projects”) and the second set featured a 7-piece band performing instrumental and vocal highlights from Vince’s film and video game work.
In addition to his keyboard contributions on various TV projects, Vince’s work as a session musician has kept him busy and in demand. He’s worked with artists and producers such as Burt Bacharach, Dionne Warwick, Thom Bell (producer), Glenn Hughes (DEEP PURPLE), Rick Springfield, Ben Margulies (songwriter for MARIAH CAREY), Japanese phenomenon T-Square and many others.
Vince currently resides in the San Fernando Valley with his wife Beth and their two ndaughters Danielle and Jessica. With each new project, Vince DiCola continues to demonstrate his powerful and creative force and versatility in the music world.