MIÉRCOLES 28 SEPTIEMBRE
A Tribute to Shirley Walker
The Tenerife International Film Music Festival (FIMUCITÉ), sponsored by Cabildo Insular de Tenerife, Canary Islands Government and Santa Cruz de Tenerife City Council, legitimates and boosts on its tenth edition the cooperation with the Conservatory of Music of Santa Cruz de Tenerife with various concerts, including this concert performed by the Symphonic Wind Ensemble and conducted by José Toledo at Guimerá Theatre on September 28th.
In this concert FIMUCITÉ will pay tribute to iconic film composer Shirley Walker. The composer and conductor, who passed away in 2006, worked with Danny Elfman in many different projects for Warner Bros. featuring DC Comic characters. Twice Emmy-awarded, in 1992 she became the first female to compose an orchestral score in the symphonic style for a Hollywood production, John Carpenter’s 'Memoirs of an Invisible Man'. Regarding this, the organization of FIMUCITÉ will award Walker, posthumously, with the FIMUCITÉ - Antón García Abril Award. One of Shirley Walker’s longtime principal orchestrators, Larry Rench (who is currently one of Hollywood’s top orchestrators), will be orchestrating as well as coordinating the needed preparations for the entire evening’s music program.
This concert will also feature music by prolific composers Lolita Ritmanis, Michael McCuistion and Kristopher Carter, whose careers began as protégés of Shirley Walker. They will be in attendance at the concert and will present music from 'Justice League', 'Batman: The Animated Series', 'Ben 10: Destroy All Aliens' and 'Teen Titans', as well as music from the animated short 'Chase Me'. Their music spans many different genres, from orchestral action to jazzy noir and beyond. Several of their musical selections will be world premieres created especially for FIMUCITÉ. During the course of the festival Michael McCuistion, Lolita Ritmanis and Kristopher Carter will also present workshops for students of the Professional Conservatory and a lecture for the general public as part of the parallel activities of the festival on its tenth anniversary.
- FIRST HALF
The Music of Shirley Walker
- Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (Main Title) - Composed by Shirley Walker
- Final Destination (Suite) - Composed by Shirley Walker WORLD PREMIERE!
- Willard (Suite) - Composed by Shirley Walker - Conducted by Larry RenchWORLD PREMIERE!
- Memoirs of an Invisible Man (Suite) - Composed by Shirley Walker WORLD PREMIERE!
- Batman: The Animated Series (Suite from “On Leather Wings”) - Composed by Shirley Walker WORLD PREMIERE!
- SECOND HALF
"Thank You Shirley!”
The Music of Lolita Ritmanis, Michael McCuistion and Kristopher Carter
(Protégés of Shirley Walker))
- Ben 10 In Concert - Composed Lolita Ritmanis, Michael McCuistion and Kristopher Carter
- Batman: The Animated Series: I Am The Greatest Clown - Composed by Michael McCuistion WORLD PREMIERE!
- *Chase Me - Composed by Lolita Ritmanis WORLD PREMIERE!
- Justice League: Viking Funeral - Composed by Kristopher Carter - Conducted by Kristopher Carter WORLD PREMIERE!
- *Superman: The Animated Series, Mr. Mxyzptlk Mambo - Composed by Kristopher Carter WORLD PREMIERE!
- Starcrossed: Farewell, Hawkgirl - Rhapsody on a Theme from Justice League - Composed by Lolita Ritmanis - Conducted by Lolita Ritmanis WORLD PREMIERE!
- Teen Titans: Cyborg the Barbarian - Composed by Michael McCuistion WORLD PREMIERE!
- "Batman: La Máscara del Fantasma" - The Promise and First Love (Shirley Walker) WORLD PREMIERE!
* small ensemble
Concert Orchestrated by Larry Rench
Principal Orchestrator of the late Shirley Walker
Symphonic Band of the Conservatory of Santa Cruz de Tenerife
Conductor: José Toledo
**Festival staff reserve the right to make changes to the casting and/or programme without prior notice due to last minute unforseen cancellations and/or delays for which the Festival is not responsible, and shall not be held liable for refunds. You, the ticket holder, agree to waive your right to return tickets under such circumstances.